compilation under windows

Hi all,
I want to know the different alternatives for compilation of binutils under windows (i.e. host windows, target i386). Assume Windows NT as the version of interest.

Can it be compiled under cygwin, DJGPP without modification? What are the other alternatives?

Has anyone tried compiling it under VC++ (using its compilers)? Is it possible to do so? If not, I am willing to port binutils to VC++. Will it be much of an effort?

thanks,
Mercury