Re: Patch for readelf testsuite

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 04:57:06PM -0800, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
> alan@linuxcare.com.au (Alan Modra) writes:
> > Something like the above really ought to be put some place in
> > a function where it can be used by other tests (gas and ld too).  There
> > are quite a few places where we want a "is this target elf?" test, and it
> > would be nice to have just one place to update for odd targets.
>
> Or N, where (N << the number of targets), if one isn't possible.
>
> it'd probably be reasonable to put a common function like that in:
>
> gas/testsuite/lib/gas-defs.exp
> binutils/teststuite/lib/utils-lib.exp
> ld/testsuite/lib/ld-lib.esp
>
> it'd be nice if there were a single place in the 'binutils' tree that
> had it, but it's not clear that it'd be good to put such a function
> _in_ dejagnu (very annoying to have to update dejagnu, for some
> people)...  and if there's no great global solution, individual local
> ones would be nice...

If we do that, we should provide

1. Is the target ELF?
2. Does the target support shared library?
3. Does the target support symbol versioning?
4. Does the target support ELF symbol visibility?
5. Does the target support weak symbol? It may be a tricky one if the
shared library is involved.

The list may go on. It may be a good idea if someone wants to spend
time to work on it.

H.J.