Re: RFC: .gnu.strtab (aka merging duplicate strings by ld)

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 11:55:33AM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> An implementation which requires changing every ELF backend file is
> clearly problematical.  Is it required?  Can you simply adjust the
> symbol values in elf_link_input_bfd?

I'll try to write something using information retrieved from
bfd_reloc_type_lookup. I need to get at addend at least.
Will see.

> > +  if (tab->alignment_power)
> > +    pad = alloca (1 << tab->alignment_power);
>
> It used to be the case that code in BFD was not permitted to call
> alloca.  Perhaps that restrictions has been lifted.

elf64-hppa.c
elfxx-ia64.c
som.c
vms-hdr.c

are already using it, but if the restriction still holds, I can work around
it.

BTW: Ulrich just pointed me at SHF_MERGE and SHF_STRINGS, so the patch might
be actually a little bit more generic.

	Jakub