Re: Patch: Check input format against output

"H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> writes:

> I believe we can use the generic ELF backends as input during final
> link as long as no relocations were involved. We should only flag an
> error if there are any relocations for the generic ELF backends. How
> about this new patch.

I think the change should be in elf32-gen.c and elf64-gen.c.

I'm not personally going to be happy with a change to elflink.h until
you can explain why changing elf32-gen.c and elf64-gen.c is wrong.

As I said before:

: This approach just seems odd to me.  It doesn't seem to address the
: underlying problem, which is that the generic ELF backends don't
: support linking.  If you fix that problem to give an appropriate
: error, then the problem you are trying to address goes away.  Fixing
: the generic ELF backend problem also fixes other aspects of the
: problem not addressed by your patch, like linking directly to
: S-records.

Ian