Re: Null pointer read in binutils-2.10.0.33: bfd/elf32-i386.c: elf_i386_relocate_section

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, I wrote:
> (gdb) run -m elf_i386 -o dec.e crt1.o crti.o crtbegin.o dec.o libtask.a libgcc.a libc.so libgcc.a crtend.o crtn.o
> Starting program: /usr/bin/ld -m elf_i386 -o dec.e crt1.o crti.o crtbegin.o dec.o libtask.a libgcc.a libc.so libgcc.a crtend.o crtn.o

That was because one file, libtask.a, was for the wrong architecture,
Solaris/Sparc (due to an incomplete make clean rule...).

The native linker on SCO Unixware 7, different from GNU ld on GNU/Linux,
can detect this and issues an error message:
UX:ld: ERROR: libtask.a(tri_des.o): fatal error: libtask.a(tri_des.o): wrong machine type

Could GNU ld (or libbfd) do the same?
It would not only have saved me two days but also have caused another
GNU/Linux installation at a customer's site. Now they use a non-free Unix
instead.

Cheers,

Marco
individual to whom it is addressed.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of Thyron Limited.
If you are not the intended recipient then please be advised
that you have received this email in error and that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email
is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the
Thyron IT Administrator on +44 (0)1923 236 050 or
send an email to mail-admin@thyron.com.
Thank You