Re: bfd porting

Hi Laurent,

> I'm quite new to binutils, and I'd like to write a port of the bfd
> library for a new target (the TMS320C6000 processor family). I thought
> it wouldn't be too difficult, as support for the TMS320C3000 family is
> already included in the library, but it seems that the C6000 uses a
> different coff format.
>
> For instance, I have troubles making the external_auxent union match
> the auxiliary entry format.

Firstly you need to create a new header file: include/coff/tic60.h.
In this you need to define an external_auxent structure that does
match up with the coff format you are targetting.  [Note - you really
should have some documenation describing the coff format being used by
this target, in order to be able to do this.]  Have a look at the
other header files in that directory.  They all define this structure
(*) with quite a few variations, so you should be able to get an idea
of what to do.

Of course you will also want to copy other things from, say, the
tic30.h or tic80.h files into your new header.

The you will need to create a new bfd file: bfd/coff-tic60.c.  Again
base this on the already existing coff-tic30.c and/or coff-tic80.c
files, but of course you will want include your new tic60.h header
file.

This should be enough to start you off.  Basically copy everything
from the already existing coff tic files and modify as necessary.

(*)  If you are using the very latest sources from the CVs server you
will notice that a lot of the header files now include coff/external.h
where "generic" definitions of these structures are placed.  You may
be able to make use of this header file.