This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Writing addend into instructions
- To: Torbjorn Granlund <tege at swox dot com>
- Subject: Re: Writing addend into instructions
- From: Alan Modra <alan at linuxcare dot com dot au>
- Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:07:51 +1100 (EST)
- cc: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
On 13 Mar 2001, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
> But for ELF, writing the addends into, say, a 16-bit instruction field
> seems like a strange thing to do. Most ELF ABIs require that such
> addends are ignored anyway.
One (rather poor) reason why you might want to write the addend into
the insn is to make disassembly of object files "look right". It would be
better to teach the disassembler how to apply the relocation.