Re: Patch: Remove unused return values

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Alan Modra wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Bo Thorsen wrote:
>
> > This patch removes the return values of the c++ vtable functions. There
> > are three reasons for doing this. First of all, no function uses the
> > returned value.
>
> Not quite true.  The return value is used in tc-hppa.c

I should have guessed that some architecture did use it. Otherwise it
would of course not have been there. Thanks for catching this.

> > Third and most important: I'm trying to find the right way to write vtable
> > info to special sections, and when this happens, the returned info will no
> > longer exist.
>
> This I like.  Since I was the author this particular ugly hack in
> tc-hppa.c, I'll see about removing it if it makes your life easier.  Might
> be a day or two before I find time...

Well, you might not need this at all. If I succeed in doing a general
implementation, all architectures should benefit from this, and hopefully
you won't need the hack in the hppa specific part. But I've never looked
at the hppa code (and I want to keep myself reasonably sane, so I won't in
the future either :) so I might be wrong here. One thing is definately
true: You will not have a fixS to work with, so at some point this will
have to be changed.

Bo.

--

     Bo Thorsen                 |   Lahnsgade 31, st.
     Free software developer    |   5000 Odense C