Re: DWARF2 and COFF?

   From: "Mark E." <snowball3@bigfoot.com>
   Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 00:25:35 -0500

   read_abbrevs in bfd/dwarf2.c aborts because it doesn't like the value of
   '.long Ldebug_abbrev0' apparently because its value has the .debug_abbrev
   section's vma added to it. The error message is 'Dwarf Error: Abbrev offset
   (x) bigger than abbrev size (y).' When I subtract the section's vma from the
   offending offset, I get 0 which is probably what it's expecting.

In general the DWARF sections are given a VMA of zero.  See
ld/scripttempl/elf.sc, and note that in ELF .o files sections normally
have a VMA of zero.  I seem to recall that there is actually something
which does not work if DWARF sections have a non-zero VMA, although I
do not remember the details.

In COFF .o files, sections often have a non-zero VMA.  Perhaps this
can be changed for DWARF debugging sections.

Ian