RE: maintainership of PEI code in BFD

Hi Donn,

Did you see the follow-up discussion between DJ and myself?  It was
sent to binutils@sources.redhat.com so if you don't subscribe to that
list, you obviously didn't see them.

  Donn> That split is something more than a year old... "recently"
  Donn> doesn't seem applicable.

Well, it turns out that your changes weren't committed to the Cygnus
tree until after I made the EFI/PE+ related changes.  So, from my
perspective, they were recent.  However, since you made your changes
before the EFI/PE+ changes were committed to the CVS tree, I certainly
see can why it was impossible for you to avoid breaking them... ;-)

  Donn> Please be more specific about what the problem is, because it
  Donn> was my intent to separate the "generic" PE/PEI stuff from the
  Donn> per-architecture stuff.

The main problem is that PE+ uses 8-byte fields in some places where
PE uses 4-byte fields.  So clearly the same code cannot work for both
cases.  I suspect what we'll need is a similar approach as for the ELF
targets, where there is common source code that gets compiled once for
32-bit targets and once for 64-bit targets.  That, plus some
additional hooks to set the EFI-specific file/section alignments and
subsystem id probably would do the trick.

	--david