Athlon tools

Hi,

I'm trying to create an Athlon optimized version of a distribution (of
Slackware, in case anyone is wondering). In order to do this, I have a
patched gcc-2.95.2 to generate Athlon code, but I'm not sure how to build
a set of binutils that will compile Athlon assembly language...

I've looked through some of the sources under the binutils tree, and I can
find files named "i386" with various suffixes. Is this just a general x86
target that will support Athlon instructions too?

Also, if anyone happens to have a little more detailed documentation, as
regards building a cross-compiler than the one on the athlonlinux.org
site then I'd be grateful... I have built a cross compiler successfuly
before, but it was quite a long time ago... :(

Thanks in advance,

rik