Re: RFC: PowerPC GAS changes

> This leads me then to the question, which is more important? 8k of
> memory which makes it more readable/changable, or less readable
> but also less memory?

I'd say readability/changeability is way more important, especially when
you consider that at some point, someone is going to take one of IBM's 40x
cores, and put it on xilinx FPGA and play 'mix and match' with optional
PPC instructions, and then they are going to want someone to support this
with binutils.

Even without this, I think you will run out of fields and
categories really quickly if Moto and IBM keep making more derivatives of
various processors. This doens't even take into account what's going to
happen with 64 bit PPC's in a couple of years.

Even now, how do you deal with IBM's Power3 chips which (AFAIK) can
actually run 3 different modes: PPC32, PPC64, and PPCAS (which is
something special for the AS400's)

Troy Benjegerdes                'da hozer'                hozer@drgw.net

Somone asked my why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz