Re: MIPS support dlltool missing

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > It seems that the current (cvs) version of dlltool won't accept mips
> > as the target machine.
>
> MIPS uses more than just DIR32 relocs, which would make dlltool much
> less usable (nobody can generate useful exp files).  Use the linker
> (ld) to build dlls.  Is there something you needed to do that the
> linker can't already do?

Yes. I have a good many .def files (from the mingw project) that I want to
create .lib files from so that  can link to the various native .dll files
on WinCE. I was under the impression that the linker could create .lib
files from .dll files, but not from .def files.

(I'm aware that on the WinCE, most of these functions have been merged
into one library, coredll. I have the .def file for this as well (taken
from the GCC for WinCE project)).

My wish (if feasible) is to have stock gcc and binutils (from cvs) be able
to create WinCE applications, given (modified) mingw include and .def
files.

I've not checked if I could use dlltool to create i386 .lib files and then
use objcopy to convert them to MIPS .libs, but I consider this somewhat of
a workaround.

> > And on that note, are there any known validity testers for COFF/PE
> > files ?
>
> I use microsoft's DUMPBIN program, but really the only thing that
> *really* knows if a PE file is valid is the OS that is going to run
> it, which often disagrees with dumpbin *and* the PE spec.

LOL :)

Yes, I've sort of imagined that, but a program like dumpbin should at
least provide *some* help along the way.

Regards,

Karl T