This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [RFA]: opcodes alpha disassembler
- To: cgd at sibyte dot com
- Subject: Re: [RFA]: opcodes alpha disassembler
- From: Guy Harris <guy at netapp dot com>
- Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:16:08 -0700 (PDT)
- CC: msnyder at cygnus dot com, binutils at sourceware dot cygnus dot com, gdb-patches at sourceware dot cygnus dot com
> Unless i'm mistaken, somebody (else?) also tried to get the table to
> include the OSF/1 PAL ops, recently, and was turned down. 8-)
It was me, and it's my rejected patch he's submitting; I'd done it here,
where all the stuff we do uses OSF/1 PALcodes, and supplied it to folks
at Cygnus with whom we signed a support contract.
The rationale was that GDB isn't just a debugger for code that uses
OSF/1 PALcodes; I can see the logic behind that.
It Might Be Nice if there were a way either to have GDB figure out the
right PALcode ops to use (based on the object file format, perhaps) or
to let the user specify the PALcode ops to use, but, absent that, I have
no problem with those changes not being in mainstream GDB (well, it's a
minor support nuisance on our part, but I think it might be a case of
"the greatest good for the greatest number" if they were left out).