ar/Assembler bug is NFS problem

Hi all,
I apologize for having filled this mailing list with a few now useless
posts.
The bugs I encountered are definitely NFS problems. The reason why I
encountered them on the first tests I ran "locally" were because the
build environment here is proprietary and uses a lot of complicated
fallback and default options. Possibly it reverted to some hard-wired
location when running recursively, so only the root node of the
directory was built truly locally.

Interestingly, the problems only occured when
a) assembling files or
b) appending to an archive (possibly also when altering it using ranlib)

It seems the NFS bug does not occur when simply copying files from /tmp
to an NFS mount (which is what gcc does with its intermediate files,
which were always correct). I am not an expert with these problems; if
someone knows more, please correct me.

If the file system problem indeed occur only when appending, though,
then a flag like "--local-copy" would be very helpful, indicating that
the file should be copied to /tmp, processed locally, then copied back
to the target and removed from /tmp. This is of course no performance
boost but it would make life easier for a few people, e. g. me ;)

Thanks again to Alan, Hans and H. J. Lu for their efforts to help.
--
Regards,
Cyrille Artho - http://artho.com