Re: A comment-finding hack for hppa I found useful

Hi Alan,

:    I found the following hack useful when debugging glibc sources
: for hppa.  The comment in the first hunk below indicates why it's
: useful, but I'm ambivalent as to whether this belongs in the
: official sources.

So basically the problem is that (for the hppa) the comment chracater,
(';') is the same as the line seperator character for lots of other
assemblers, and that tihs leads to confusion, especially when writing
C asm statements ?

I guess I have no objections to adding the feature, although I think
that it will only very occaisionally be useful.  perhaps it could be
part of the output with the -D switch ?

: PS. Question for the language experts.  "#if MACRO" or "#ifdef MACRO",
: which is preferred?  Given MACRO is either undefined or evaluates to 1,
: there is no difference really (except I believe some really old compilers
: don't even supprt #ifdef)

I had not heard about old compilers not supporting #ifdef, but I think
from a very strict point of view, I would prefer '#ifdef MACRO" over
"#if MACRO" since this makes clear that all that is being tested is
the fact that MACRO is defined, not what value it might happen to
have.