Re: problem compiling binutils 2.10

  In message <395A0529.61CA902C@OARcorp.com>you write:
  > Alan Modra wrote:
  > >
  > > On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Heiko Nardmann wrote:
  > >
  > > > COMPUNIT is a define in /usr/include/compunit.h:
  > > > So do I have to insert a include statement somewhere? If yes where is i
  > t best?
  > >
  > > No.  HPUX:/usr/include/compunit.h is probably included from one of the
  > > other HPUX:/usr/include/*.h files, and you are quite likely to need that
  > > one too.  The trouble is going to be that even if you figure out exactly
  > > which header files must be pulled in from HP-UX, it's likely that at leas
  > > some of them will clash with header files on your native system.  I wish
  > > you luck!
  >
  > If you want to fix this long term, why not create the files and
  > add them to binutils.  Start by creating empty versions of all
  > the missing files.  Then see what types/structures/defines the
  > code really needs.  Add them to your empty files until it compiles.
  > Don't add anything that is not needed.
  >
  > Someone else will have to speak about keeping the new files
  > clean enough to make them suitable for inclusion in binutils.
Right.  It's certainly do-able.

Given that you have to be source-compatible with the hpux header files
you're limited in how many different ways you can do things, but so long
as you don't actually copy the hpux header files you should be OK.

So, how do you get the information you need about types and sizes of
structures?  There's actually a manual on HP's web site which describes
all the gory bits in the SOM header files.

jeff