Re: Problem with libtool and aclocal

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Syd Polk wrote:
> At 10:11 AM 6/21/00 +1000, Alan Modra wrote:
> >OK, can we see your patches please?  Post them to the binutils list;
> >There are many people reading this list with more experience in configury
> >issues than I have.
>
> Patches to libtool.m4? Or patches to aclocal.m4 and configure? These files
> are autogenerated by aclocal and autoconf, and the patches are usually
> quite heinous.

Excuse me for being a little dense.  After re-reading your original mail,
I assume you want to update one or more of the versions of autoconf,
automake, and libtool that are supposed to be used by binutils
maintainers.  Since it was intended that binutils eventually move to
released versions of these tools, and we have a late May release of
libtool, that sounds like a good idea.

Note that it's not sufficient to just check in generated files that have
been created by newer tools, because the next autoconf or automake run by
one of the maintainers will undo any fixes.  You need to post an
announcement that you've put new snapshots of the configury tools on
sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/binutils/, and ask that all maintainers please
update their tools.

Regards, Alan Modra
--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.