Re: CPSR changes to ARM binutils in the mainline...

>The mainline is correct.  The ARM Architecture Reference states in note 1 that
>the immediate form can only be used to set the flag bits.  The results are
>unpredictable with the other fields, although it seems to work.  However, I
>think your patch should go into the branch for consistency.  I don't think it
>is a good idea for the branch and the mainline to have different behaviour here,
>particularly when we are just about to release.
>
>What do you think?

My preference (for both branch and trunk) would actually be to issue a warning
rather than an error for these sorts of instructions.  This is more consistent
with how the assembler handles other syntactically correct but invalid
instructions.

Anyway, applying the patch to the branch is OK so long as there is mention in
NEWS of the change.  The previous release accepted these instructions so the
change needs to be documented.

p.