Re: gas generating bad code for i386

Alan Modra wrote:

> gas did have a rather useless and probably unintentional "feature" in that
> it accepted `jmp constant' (and `call constant', `jc ...' etc.) and
> generated a `jmp' opcode with `constant' as the operand.  ie. you got a
> jmp, with offset `constant' relative to the *next* instruction.  All quite
> confusing really.

Yes, and this 'feature' disappeared somewhere between 2.9.1.0.23 and
2.9.5.0.22
and this was the cause of my problem.  I must admit that 'call 4' seemed
a little strange at the time that I wrote it, but it worked.  I haven't
done assembly in a while and was having trouble remembering the
PC-relative
syntax.  I have since changed the code as per Ian's suggestion - except
it's .+6, not 4.

Thanks to all for your help,
Tom

--