Re: C4x patch

Hi Greg,

  Thanks for the new C4X files patch.  Unfortunately I cannot accept
it in its present state, for the reasons specified below:

  * The bfd_target structures declared in bfd/coff-c4x.c do not
    include an initialisation of the new 'alternative_target' field.

  * The symbol manipulatipon code in gas/config/tc-c4x.c accesses
    fields that are no longer visible.  For example the code at the
    start of tc_gen_reloc() does a direct assignment to the
    sym_ptr_ptr field, rather than xmallocing space for the new
    structure and then using symbol_get_bfdsym() to initilaise this
    space.  (See any pf the other tc-*.c file for examples of this).

These are the only two real problems with the sources, but there are
several other things which would be nice to see tidied up:

  * The bfd and gas sources now support internationalisation of
    strings, so that translated versions of error messages and so on,
    can be generated in non-english printing envrionments.  For
    example a function call like:

     as_bad ("I'm sorry Dave, I just can't do that");

    ought to look like:

     as_bad (_("I'm sorry Dave, I just can't do that"));

  * If possible, we prefer to have the ChangeLog entries submitted
    just as straight ascii text, not context diffs.  The reason is
    that ChangeLogs change so rapidly that it is hardly ever possible
    to apply a ChangeLog context diff when the patch is being checked
    in.

  * This being a new year, adding a copyright notice for the year 2000
    to the start oif the files would be useful!

If you could fix these problems then I would be happy top accept the
patch.