Re: elf32-mips breaks binary compatibility

   Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:11:33 +0200
   From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>

   It's impractical to tag old binaries, so therefore we have to tag new
   ones.  So if Jakub goes and actually implements some Quickstart like
   mechanism not both can use this tag at the same time.

OK.  I think we need to talk about this further if we plan to tag new
binaries.  That would put us in the position of adding the new tag
forever.  It would also mean that we could never support existing SGI
MIPS/ELF shared libraries.  Certainly using DT_MIPS_TIME_STAMP is
inappropriate if we are tagging new binaries.

   I think I have some better mechanism for the dynamic linker to detect
   this problem without any tag at all.  I'll work on that tomorrow and
   checkout if it's actually implementable.

That would be ideal.

Ian