Re: make check

   Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 11:58:24 +0930 (CST)
   From: Alan Modra <alan@SPRI.Levels.UniSA.Edu.Au>

   I've been slightly annoyed that "make check" always did a "make all" for
   quite a while, but never annoyed enough to fix it until now.

   Jason, on Oct 27 1997 you added the check-target-libio dependency on
   all-target-libio.  Has the need for this gone?

   Ulrich, do we need "check" to depend on "all" in your po/Makefiles?

   I think I need an OK from both of you (and Ian) before checking this in.

These changes are OK with me.  Note that you can change them in the
binutils repository without affecting any other repository.

Of course, it would probably be nicer if we all agreed on the proper
solution.  I tend to agree that ``make check'' should not imply ``make
all.''  The GNU standards say this:
    Perform self-tests (if any).  The user must build the program before
    running the tests, but need not install the program; you should write
    the self-tests so that they work when the program is built but not
    installed.
which is ambiguous, but I think it implies that ``make check'' need
not imply ``make all''.

Ian