Re: elf "note" section for win32-style thread context

   Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 18:41:16 +0400
   From: Egor Duda <deo@logos-m.ru>

   I've got an intention to add core dumping functionality to cygwin
   library, so that cygwin application would write elf core file. As a
   part of it, there should be "note" sections to store contexts of all
   running threads. I see two possible ways to do it. I can either
   emulate through one of existing structures (prstatus_t, lwpstatus_t,
   etc.) or add new special note type for cygwin to bfd. Which way should
   i choose?

The real point of storing thread information in a core file is so that
you can examine the thread state using gdb.  So you should probably
make your decision based on what fits more naturally into the gdb
code.

The prstatus_t stuff is all ELF specific, so you would have to copy it
anyhow for the PE-based cygwin code.  The current implementation is
actually not quite right in that it relies on host header files, and
even if the right header files are available can not be built
correctly for a cross toolchain.

Ian