Re: Proposal to change branch maintenance

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:29:15 +0100, Tom Tromey wrote:
> Jan> I already did so, where do you see them?
> Jan> 	archer.git "master" deletion (+branches cleanup)
> Jan> 	http://sourceware.org/ml/archer/2011-q4/msg00010.html
> Jan> 	http://sourceware.org/ml/archer/2012-q1/msg00001.html
>
> E.g., but there are really many more:
>
> barimba. git branch -r |grep origin/gdb
>   origin/gdb-4_18-branch

You must have some stale local copy.  Both
	http://sourceware.org/git/?p=archer.git;a=heads
and fresh
	git clone git://sourceware.org/git/archer.git
do not show anything other then archer-* branches.

BTW gdb.git tags were left there, that could be fixed (but I do not use tags).

> It would be possible to do other kinds of automatic merging.
> For example we could "cat" the two files together.

Yes, that would be great.

> Since you're doing most of the serious merges, how about you say which
> you'd prefer?

In fact it does not matter much as the additional work twice a year is very
minor.

But I find the 'cat' merge would be best for everyone, even for other people
occasionally possibly doing some archer branch merges.

Jan