Re: C++ draft

Yao> In your concrete plan, IIUC, your plan is about converting GDB to C++
Yao> *partially*, instead of re-write GDB *completely*.  Is that
Yao> correct?

Yes.  I don't think a complete rewrite is either practical or advisable.
Instead I think an incremental approach is best.

Now, one possible criticism is that such incremental changes often peter
out.  And this is definitely a possible problem -- after exceptions and
python reference counting, what do we care enough about to transform?  I
mean, it is easy to think of areas that can be C++-ified, but are the
benefits enough to justify the work?  Would we be better off just
writing GCC plugins to check our changes?  I tend to think the benefits
are worth the cost, but it is hard to know this with any certainty.

Yao> For example, I don't anything in your plan about converting *-tdep.c
Yao> stuff into C++.   Is it in your plan or we plan to leave them as they
Yao> are now?

Leave them.

Yao> Do we plan to move gdbserver to C++?  I think no, because [...]

I agree.

Yao> I don't think C and C++ co-existance is a problem, or, your plan is
Yao> about "make good use of C++ to replace some bad and error-prone stuffs
Yao> in GDB, and keep the rest of GDB as it is".  Is it right?

Yes.

Yao> Just want to know clearly what GDB will be after your plan is performed.

I think we will always have parts in C.  At the very least BFD, and if
you push forward on the gdbserver library project, then the shared bits
there as well.