Re: Improved linker-debugger interface

Tom> I asked and the SystemTap guys said that they'd welcome a patch, but
Tom> that the widening would have to be optional.

Paul> Optional widening would likely be useless in this context: an in-process
Paul> debugger wants to just work (TM). Requiring a special build of ld-linux
Paul> (with widened probes) is the opposite of that ;-(

Paul> One could hope that upstream glibc would adopt wide probes by default,
Paul> but I would guess that chances of that actually happening are nil.

I think we can make these probes wide and other ones in glibc narrow.

However, you may still have difficulties, since I believe upstream glibc
will probably not accept the SystemTap probes at all.  They have been
rejected so far, aside from Roland's branch.  We do ship them in Fedora,
though.