Re: Initial psymtab replacement results

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 04:58:23PM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:
> The problem I have with it is that it doesn't help the first time you
> start gdb.  And because the cache is invalidated whenever an objfile
> changes, the part of your program you are hacking on will always look
> like the first time.

Are monolithic single objects still the norm?  In e.g. the OpenOffice
case, this is fine; most of the guts are in shared libraries and
hopefully someone hacking on OO.o can rebuild just one library at a
time.

> I also plan to look into Jan's idea of using the shared library info to
> limit searches by PC.  This seems like it could help a case like ABRT,
> which really just wants a stack trace and nothing else; in this case, we
> could defer reading any debuginfo until it is requested, and then use
> this change to pick exactly the objfile that matters.  This seems like
> an independent patch.

Yes, it does, although it probably does best with the psymtab cleanups
you've already got.  Any interest in submitting those independently?
It sounds like a nice framework for investigating alternate
approaches.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery