Re: Initial psymtab replacement results

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> wrote:

> If I'm going to ship pre-cached ARM Linux files, I need them to work
> on x86-linux and x86-mingw32 at a minimum. ?Sometimes I need them to
> work on sparc-solaris2.10 or powerpc-linux or arm-linux. ?That's where
> I was coming from.

Thanks, I understand now.

And building the cache "on demand" or at GDB install time is not a viable
option?

We did it "on demand" -- there are usually a lot of shared libraries in
the distribution which the customer doesn't care about debugging.  E.g. if
the customer is developing some crypto app, he hardly ever debugs anything
that links against libX11, so there is no point in having libX11 take space
in the cache. Conversely, customers who debug GUIs rarely care about libssl.

Building "on demand" also handles updates nicely: when e.g. libc.so gets
updated, next time you run GDB, it notices and rebuilds the cache (just
for that image).

--
Paul Pluzhnikov