Re: [RFC] Proposal for a new DWARF name index section

Cary> Now how will gdb know whether or not the pubnames index actually has
Cary> all of this extra info? A suggestion to have gdb look at the producer
Cary> string was shot down as ugly, but compare that to the alternative of
Cary> using a non-standard index. You could instead tie it to the switch to
Cary> DWARF-4 and just check the section version number in the compilation
Cary> unit header (the version number for .debug_pubnames isn't scheduled to
Cary> change with DWARF-4, unfortunately). Another alternative is just to
Cary> have gdb use the pubnames index if it's present, and any name that
Cary> isn't in the index simply won't be found without qualification.

It occurred to me today that we could define a GNU-local attribute that
GCC (and whatever DWARF-rewriting tool we come up with to generate the
indices post-facto) can put into the CU DIE.

What do you think of that?