Re: [python][patch] Info about base class in gdb.Type

On 11/02/2009 07:50 PM, Richard Ward wrote:
On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 15:09 +0000, Phil Muldoon wrote:
On 11/02/2009 01:59 PM, Phil Muldoon wrote:
On 06/18/2009 02:50 PM, Richard Ward wrote:
A small patch to add a bool indicating if a class member as returned by
the fields method on a gdb.Type represents a base class.

PS. asked about this (and other patches I'll hopefully be sending) on
IRC and was told to sign the copyright waiver thing for the FSF before
submitting. Not sure if I need to give any info on that but the FSF say
they have it now.

2009-05-28 Richard Ward<richard.j.ward1@googlemail.com>

* gdb/python/python-type.c
convert_field adds a new bool entry "base_class" indicating
whether the field represents a base class
* gdb/doc/gdb.texinfo:
updated to refelect the above.
Richard,

I have a patch ready for upstream that depends on your patch. As you
have papers on file,  can you submit this to FSF GDB upstream at
gdb-patches@sourceware.org?

Oops part of my patch fixes a buglet in your is_base_class patch; the other section adds the beginnings of a testsuite for Python types. I can just merge the patches, ChangeLogs and submit it all upstream as one patch. What do you think?

Regards

Phil
Sounds fine to me.

The only thing is I was rather hoping that my email would appear in
either the ChangeLogs or the version control logs (I'm looking for work
at the moment, and if I say in my CV or an interview that I submitted
some small patches to gdb I'd like to be able to prove it). Will that be
the case? If not then its not the end of the world

That would definitely be the case (with ChangeLogs). The patches to gdb-patches would include an entry with your name on the ChangeLog but the patch to gdb-cvs (http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-cvs) would show up under my commit. However, if you want to combine the two patches and submit it, that would be totally fine for me too. It would help in building a case to MAINTAINERS addition/write-after-commit in FSF GDB for your own case. And another GDB commiter is always a good thing. I'm totally understand the situation, and will help in anyway way I can.

Do you want to do the combining, patch-review, committing to FSF upstream? I'm totally fine with it.

Regards

Phil