Re: C++ exceptions catching through GDB-patched .eh_frame

Jan> (2) The personality routine is always `__gxx_personality_v0' (by
Jan> PLT).  Trapping it would mean overhead for any exception thrown,
Jan> even those GDB is not interested in (as caught below the current
Jan> frame).

Could we modify the personality functions to check a global, which we
would then set before "next" (and clear after it)?  This global could
refer to the frame we are "next"ing in, so the exception machinery
could ignore uninteresting exceptions.  For interesting ones, it could
call a function where we could put a breakpoint.  That would avoid the
context switch per exception.

It wouldn't work with older versions of the compiler.  I'm not sure
how much that matters.

It would have some performance cost on all thrown exceptions.

Or does this idea make sense?  I haven't totally understood all the
ideas that have gone by.