Stack trace from core file without executable

Hello,

frysk's fstack had a feature that I found quite useful: the ability to extract (fairly accurate) stack traces from core files without needing the executable that generated them. gdb, on the other hand, does not appear to be able to do this very well. (Running a simple executable that does nothing but call abort() and then attempting to get the stack trace from the resulting core file using fstack and gdb demonstrates this fairly well.)

I was wondering what accounts for fstack's ability (or gdb's lack of ability) to do this, and how feasible it would be to migrate this functionality to archer or gdb.

Thanks,

Ray