|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 80:||Line 80:|
|[[Testing/ABI_checker|ABI checker]] result (relative to the glibc [[Release/2.16|2.16]]):
||<#EEEEEE>CPU \ OS ||<style="text-align:center;">GNU/Linux ||<style="text-align:center;">GNU/kFreeBSD ||... ||
||x86 ||[[http://upstream-tracker.org/downloads/glibc/linux/x86/compat_reports/2.16_to_2.17/compat_report.html|100% (2012/11/30)]] || || ||
||x86_64 ||[[http://upstream-tracker.org/downloads/glibc/linux/x86_64/compat_reports/2.16_to_2.17/compat_report.html|100% (2012/11/30)]] || || ||
||arm || || || ||
||... || || || ||
What things do we want to accomplish this release?
- Open bug count below 400
- Some cross-localdef support
- Testsuite generating logs with PASS/FAIL statuses
- Substantial progress on merging distribution patches
- Merging in changes from gnulib
- Unify wiki todo lists and items from miscellaneous text files (Carlos)
- libm multiprecision code cleanup and performance improvement (Siddhesh)
- Review and fix getaddrinfo (particularly AI_ADDRCONFIG issues) issues (Carlos)
- There are 24 getaddrinfo issues in the bug tracker.
- There are 15 getaddrinfo issues in the Red Hat bugzilla.
- There needs to be a review of the conformance of the implementation.
- We need to compare against other vendors e.g. Solaris, FreeBSD, Windows, etc.
- We need to fix things with an eye to not breaking applications.
BZ#11787 - Programs with large TLS segment fail (Carlos)
- A workaround here is going to be to use Siddhesh's new LIBC_PTHREAD_DEFAULT_STACK_SIZE env var to bump up default stack sizes.
BZ#13690 - pthread_mutex_unlock potentially cause invalid access (Carlos)
- Review code and potential race.
2. Current Status
WORK IN PROGRESS
The following material is a work in progress and should not be considered complete or ready for public use.
The 2.18 release branch is release/2.18/master.
- AArch64, ???
- x86, ???
- x86 GNU/Hurd, ???
- x86-64, ???
- x32, ???
- Power, ???
- Power64, ???
- s390, ???
- s390x, builds, some testsuite failures listed below (By: Carlos on RHEL6.4 on Linux 2.6.32-358.el6.s390x, gcc version 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-3) (GCC), GNU assembler version 2.23.52 (s390x-ibm-linux-gnu) using BFD version (GNU Binutils) 126.96.36.19930425)
- ARM, ???
- MIPS, ???
- sparc, ???
- sparc64, ???
- Alpha, ???
- IA64, ???
- HP-PARISC, ???
- SH, ???
- m68k, ???
- tilepro/tilegx, ???
The ref structure of this branch is:
- release/2.17/master: main branch
- glibc-2.17.1: revision releases tagged out of release/2.17/master
These people are interested in contents and further revisions tagged on the branch:
The general policies for release branches apply to this branch. Do you think a certain bugfix should be included in this branch?
- Is the fix committed in master? It has to be, unless it's not applicable to master (e.g. code has been rewritten meantime).
- Do you have commit permissions? If so, go ahead if you think it's reasonably safe. break;
- Can you handle Git yourself? Then you can clone the glibc repository, cherry-pick the appropriate fixes, push your branch out and send a pull request at libc-alpha. break;
- Add the glibc_2.17 keyword to the appropriate bug report.
- If there is no appropriate bug report, send a request for the fix to be included to libc-alpha.
A revision release is tagged either when some critical bug-fix appears, or after some period of real-world testing, usually mainly in some SUSE distribution branch (but other distributions are welcome to run latest release/2.17/master as well, more so if they tell me about it!).
3. ABI Compatibility Status
4. Known Issues
4.1. Testsuite Failures
On systems with limited memory, stdio-common/test-vfprintf and stdio-common/bug22 may fail (bug 14231).
On some systems, a race condition may cause nptl/tst-cancel7 and nptl/tst-cancelx7 to fail (bug 14232).
- If cross-testing, and the physical path to the build directory is different on the build system and the host used for testing (if it involves a symlink on one system but not the other), io/ftwtest fails.
On systems with Linux kernels before September 2011, rt-tst-cpuclock2 fails (http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-02/msg00468.html).
If the test system does not have suitable copies of libgcc_s.so and libstdc++.so installed in system library directories, it is necessary to copy or symlink them into the build directory before testing (see http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-04/msg01014.html regarding the use of system library directories here).
Build system: RHEL6.4 on Linux 2.6.32-358.el6.s390x, gcc version 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-3) (GCC), GNU assembler version 2.23.52 (s390x-ibm-linux-gnu) using BFD version (GNU Binutils) 188.8.131.5230425
make: *** [/root/build/glibc/math/test-float.out] Error 1 make: *** [/root/build/glibc/math/test-double.out] Error 1 make: *** [/root/build/glibc/math/test-ldouble.out] Error 1 make: *** [/root/build/glibc/math/test-ildoubl.out] Error 1 make: *** [/root/build/glibc/math/test-ifloat.out] Error 1 make: *** [/root/build/glibc/math/test-idouble.out] Error 1 make: *** [math/tests] Error 2 make: *** [/root/build/glibc/wcsmbs/wcsatcliff.out] Error 1 make: *** [wcsmbs/tests] Error 2 make: [/root/build/glibc/posix/annexc.out] Error 1 (ignored) make: [/root/build/glibc/conform/run-conformtest.out] Error 1 (ignored) make: *** [/root/build/glibc/elf/tst-unique3lib.so] Error 1 make: *** [/root/build/glibc/elf/tst-unique3lib2.so] Error 1 make: *** [/root/build/glibc/elf/tst-unique4lib.so] Error 1 make: *** [elf/tests] Error 2 make: *** [check] Error 2
4.2. Build Failures
Describe build failures here and how to fix them:
4.3. Packaging Changes
Describe packaging changes and how to fix them: